You have decided that it might be time to visit an orthodontist. We understand that it’s a whole new experience for your family, and you will no doubt have many questions! At MOG we promise to do our best to make sure you feel comfortable and informed.
We created this handy guide to help you on your path to a stress-free smile. Perhaps you will visit MOG and see how helpful we can be in person. We hope you will find the advice here useful and pass the link to this report on to anybody else you know who may need it.
Most of the information can be read from the perspective of either the recipient of the orthodontic treatment, or as a parent facilitating your child’s journey. Just exclude the parts referring to ‘your child’ if it is your braces journey….it is essentially the same process of consultation, assessment, records and fitting the appliance whether you are an adult patient or a child.
The first question is …’how do you know you need to see an orthodontist?’
The answer to this is most often: ‘because my dentist told me.’
Perhaps you can see it for yourself.
Maybe you had braces as a teen and think your child might need them too.
Read through by clicking the links below and click here to download the handy question sheet to take with you to your appointment.
- Stress free smile Course
- Signs you need an orthodontist Lesson
- What is the right age to start orthodontic treatment? Lesson
- How to choose an orthodontist Lesson
- Handy questions to ask Module
- Are you a registered specialist orthodontist with the Dental Board of Australia? Lesson
- What is your professional experience? Lesson
- Do you offer a range of treatment options and can you describe the benefits and limitations of each? Lesson
- What are your treatment goals and are they aligned with mine? Lesson
- Will braces only straighten my teeth, or will they also improve my bite? Lesson
- Can I talk to one of your patients about similar treatment they may have had? Lesson
- Will you be prepared to discuss another opinion I may obtain after my consultation? Lesson
- Are you the only orthodontist involved in the treatment or will I be seeing a different orthodontist each time? Lesson
- Is the practice part of an independent group, or a corporate franchise? Lesson
- Is there a benefit in attending a group practice such as MOG? Lesson
- Do you use auxiliary staff and what is their role? Lesson
- How long does the treatment take? Lesson
- How frequent will the visits be? Lesson
- Do you use the latest technology to improve comfort and performance? Lesson
- Can I request my X-Rays? Lesson
- Does the practice offer flexible financing? Lesson
- Does the quoted fee include records? Lesson
- Does the quoted fee include retainers? Lesson
- Does the practice charge for emergency appointments? Lesson
- What should I do if there is an emergency during my treatment? Lesson
- What extra costs could possibly arise throughout treatment? Lesson
- Is my child the right age for treatment? Lesson
- What will the consequences be if I don’t do this treatment now? Lesson
- How does the office work to emphasize good oral care at home? Lesson
- Do you work with other specialists if I need additional treatment? Lesson
- If I don’t need orthodontic treatment will you tell me? Lesson
- Booking your appointment Lesson
- What happens at your first orthodontic visit? Lesson
- Love your orthodontist Lesson
- Let’s start treatment Lesson
- Don’t believe all you hear Lesson
- Listen carefully to instructions Lesson
- Glossary of orthodontic terms Lesson