It’s wise to do a little bit of background checking first. Even if your trusted dentist or a friend has referred you, it pays to be informed!
Does your orthodontist have a web site you can visit to find out more about them? Of course MOG does you’re here now, or if you’re reading the ebook you can find us at MelbourneOrthodonticGroup.com.au
In Australia, all orthodontists are dentists who have completed a three-year postgraduate degree specializing in the field of Orthodontics.
At MOG all of our orthodontists are members of the peak body of orthodontic specialists known as the Australian Society of Orthodontists (www.aso.org.au). They are also members of the Australian Dental Association (www.ada.org.au).
If your dentist has referred you, ask them why they have done so.
- Perhaps they have a good working relationship with that particular orthodontist,
- They may have heard great things about them,
- Maybe it is just a case of their assessment of convenience to you?
If you don’t ask, you’ll never know!
Similarly, if a friend has recommended an orthodontist
- Ask what experience have they had with them,
- Perhaps their own teeth or their children’s?
- Maybe a friend or a friend of a friend has been there,
- Perhaps they know somebody who works there.
…ask why they are making the recommendation so you can make a better-informed decision.
We have prepared a handy checklist of questions to ask your orthodontist in the next chapter…(or you can download it as a handy sheet to take with you to your appointment here)